song-happy.blogspot.com

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What makes a great early childhood music teacher?

This is a bit presumptuous of me, but I reckon I have a few ideas about what makes a great children's music teacher. Bear in mind that this is just my opinion - a product of my experiences, both good and bad. I have taken my young children to half a dozen different music teachers over the years, so have a bit of experience. I am also studying the Kodaly approach, so I am looking at this through a Kodaly lens. I am not saying, however, that the only good teachers follow that approach.

So - here is my list of the characteristics of a great music teacher for young children (under 6). I might expand on some of these points in future posts.
  • Likes the company of children
  • Gets along with your child
  • Loves music, and generates enthusiasm for music
  • Great musicianship (can sing in tune, play an instrument, read music)
  • Detailed understanding of child development
  • Makes their own detailed lesson plans, but does not have a "script" that must be followed
  • Has an overall plan for helping children to develop over the long term (7 years), with musical objectives and general developmental goals
  • Limits the group size to levels appropriate for the age of the children
  • Provides a varied and interesting lesson
  • Helpfully and cheerfully answers your questions and offers useful advice
  • Is relaxed about younger siblings, tantrums, and those times when your child would rather not participate.
There are probably other things I will remember later. If so, I'll add them.

Personally, I also prefer that the teacher is not part of a franchise. I know that all teachers are paid for their work. However, there is a difference between a professional association and a franchise. A professional association (like KMEIA), exists to educate teachers to a high standard, and advocate for children and teachers. There is no pressure on this type of organisation to endorse a teacher if their work is not up to scratch. A franchise exists mainly to make money. There are probably some great teachers who happen to belong to a franchise, but it's better to be aware of the difference.

Anyway, that's my list as of 12.25 am tonight. Let me know if you agree/disagree.

Image: 'The pianist'
www.flickr.com/photos/8034873@N07/1499953615

No comments:

Post a Comment