song-happy.blogspot.com

Monday, February 21, 2011

Sing and feel good



Singing is good for your body, mind and soul!  

Check out this article - it outlines the many health benefits of singing.  Here's just some:
  • Releases endorphins - "feel good" chemicals that give you a lift
  • Encourages deep breathing, relieving stress and improving circulation
  • Stops you worrying about things (because you are concentrating on your singing!)
  • Reduces depression and anxiety.
Singing in a group is particularly beneficial.  Members of singing groups have higher life satisfaction than the general population, and they cope better with life's ups and downs.  They also enjoy social benefits such as a sense of belonging.

It's going to be tricky for me to get to choir in the next couple of weeks, and someone suggested that I just get the music and learn the parts myself.  Sure, I could do this, but that's completely missing the point.  I want to be with my friends, making beautiful sounds together, breathing deeply with all those endorphins coursing through me! Yep, I'm a singing junkie.

Pictured are some of the fabulous altos and sops from Isingonthecake in full flight.  They look happy, don't they?  I love this picture.  Thanks Carolyn for the great shot.  I'm not sure, but I think we might have been singing "Aquarius", judging from the arm action that's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment