song-happy.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Music from the trio

As previously reported, Jane, Shona and I did a bit of recording a while ago. Well, here are the results.

I tried to get the songs into a gadget in the side bar, but the technology is proving a bit too involved for my ability level. I will keep trying and possibly convince the hubby to help (he will roll his eyes at my efforts and hopefully take pity).

In the meantime I am trying to at least link you to the songs from a post. So let's see if this works....

Only Living Boy (Simon and Garfunkel). The first two voices you hear are Jane and Shona and I come in later. Guitar by Jane. We love doing this one, it's like meditating.

More Than Words
(Extreme). Jane has the tune, I'm doing the harmony and Shona comes in here and there. Guitar by Jane. Our version is a bit different to the original. We recorded this song last in a long session, and we were a bit wilted, so we don't sound as "together" as we think we normally are. Still, I think it's my favourite one.

Closer to Fine (Indigo Girls). I'm doing the tune for the most part, with Shona doing the third verse and Jane on harmony and (you guessed it) guitar. I have trouble listening to myself on those pitchy low notes, but I'm showing you, so that means I think it's OK for airing!

Happy Together (Turtles). Shona takes the lead on this one, with Jane and I on harmonies, Jane on guitar and me on shaker (I'm so skilled). This was the first song we recorded and we sound a bit tentative.

There was one other song - acapella version of You Send Me - but we nicked ideas from someone else's arrangement, so I'm not too comfortable publishing it here without asking their permission.

So anyway, I hope this works, and please leave constructive criticism in the comments! Next time we're going to try separate mics for each voice so it can be mixed and balanced. That said, I don't reckon it's a bad first effort!

Image: 'Groove Salad'
www.flickr.com/photos/40732566596@N01/109538354

No comments:

Post a Comment