song-happy.blogspot.com

Friday, February 27, 2009

The Song-head syndrome

Years of singing in choirs with 4-part harmonies has led to a condition I am calling the song-head syndrome. It is not the individual who suffers with this syndrome, but their family and friends, and sometimes even their neighbours.

You see, I return home from a rehearsal, enthusiastic about a new song we are learning. All week I sing it. But I'm singing the Alto part. Over and over again. I can hear the other parts in my head - to me it is a rich experience. However, for the innocent bystander it becomes very grating.

Things do not improve if I attempt to sing more than one part at the same time (sometimes I can't resist pinching a juicy bit from another section). This just annoys people further.

My children often ban me from singing altogether for whole afternoons. This makes me grumpy, and also I forget about the ban and burst into song anyway when they least expect it. Somehow, it's not nearly as satisfying to me if every part is confined to my head.

Sadly, it appears that this condition is hereditary. On a recent fishing expedition my son drove my dad bananas as they sat together in a small boat for a long time.

Feel free to comment if you are a fellow sufferer (or family member thereof) and have any suggestions for alleviating this condition. Perhaps we can form a support group.

Image: 'heavy rain'
www.flickr.com/photos/38834306@N00/2710328924

No comments:

Post a Comment